A busy end to October


Well October has seen quite a few changes in the IR market. The slow down of the SIS pictures and the associated severe lack of liquidity in the place market has really made it a hell of a lot harder to win nice sums of cash. Luckily I did kinda see this coming (back in March I think I mentioned on this Blog that the IR game would possibly implode at some point in the future). So now I'm really starting to focus on the pre-race markets. By moving into these markets I'll no longer have to worry about paying a premium for the SIS and TurfTV pics and I'll also be moving into a market (the pre-race win market) where I believe that the liquidity is still good enough for me to make cash. OK, I know that some tracks can be light in pre-race cash, but I still think that there's more than enough to meet my meagre requirements.

Accordingly I've beem immersing myself in the content of Jack Birkhead's training site 'Trading for Freedom'. I've already whizzed through his 'Journey' videos and they're great. I've traded a few races (with mixed results!), but now I'm pretty sure that I'm beginning to get the basic hang of how these markets work. Jack and Caan also presented a really interesting Webinar in the week and I found this really useful. The guys will be running these on a weekly basis and I think that they will be a great success, with like-minded traders meeting-up once a week for advice/chat/inspiration etc. PS Im not financially involved in any way with Jack's website, I just mention it as I think that it's a great and pretty unique way in which to learn a trade.

So I've been having a bit of a shop around on Gumtree, eBay and Amazon and my home setup now looks like this:



I have 2 Viewsonic 23in LED monitors attached to an Acer slimline running an i5 processor with 6gb of RAM. My SKY+ HD box (for ATR and RUK) is connected to a HDMI splitter which sends one signal to my TV and another to my left monitor using a HDMI to DVI converter. Sound comes from the audio outputs on my Sky box to speakers on my desk. All of this is completed by an emergency bottle of Hoegaarden (only to be opened in times of stress and/or excitement!).

As from the start of November I'll be trading from home. Obviously it's going to be a steep learning curve and I'm going to have to see if I can combine a bit of IR with a bit of pre-race trading. I would imagine that I'll pre-race trade on the SIS/ATR meetings and see if I can still nick a bit of IR money using RUK.

You never know, I might become the new Adam Heathcote!

4 comments:

  1. Hi!
    It seems you have got a trouble with SiS as well.
    I was enquiring about non Lbo service ,which faster than ATR and Betfair vid(They said that 1-2 seconds faster than the others and just for 14k for 2yrs).
    Nice setting at the table,but your glass is empty.
    :)
    Nandor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nandor. Only just spotted your post mate! If you ask me then SIS is pretty redundant at the moment for in-running as the pictures are behind BF live video!

      Cheers - Dave.

      Delete
  2. I attended that webinar too, seemed pretty much one long sales pitch to me. Never been too sure about jack since he refused to put up his pnl for the geeks charity challenge. Caan seems a decent enough guy though, posts on the geeks forum and has always been straight up with his trading.

    Don't get too carried away with pimping your system, pre off trading isn't reliant on fast speeds like in play stuff. A second here or there shouldn't be costing you money pre off unless you're doing it wrong, 1 tick trading isn't the holy grail people like you to believe

    ReplyDelete
  3. My opinion is pre off trading is good but in play trading good as well, if you know what you have to do in that situation.Someone is very good in in play and pre off trading as well.Everyone has to know wich side is good to itself.But if you dont know what you have to act,you will lose lots of money.Someone is pretty good at punting and thats the 3rd choice what we can do it.Or the 4th wich is dont play.Thats my opinion.

    ReplyDelete